A cherry picker, also known as an articulated boom lift, is a type of access equipment that plays a vital role in many industries. From construction to maintenance, cherry pickers allow workers to access heights that are not easily reachable by other means. They are also mobile, making height-related tasks not only safer but also more efficient. However, deciding whether to buy or hire a cherry picker can be a difficult decision for businesses.
In this blog post, we will explore the main factors to consider when deciding whether to buy or hire a cherry picker. We’ll also discuss the pros and cons of cherry picker hire compared to purchasing one outright.
Buy or Hire Cherry Picker: Key Factors to Consider
Several factors should be considered when deciding whether to buy or hire a cherry picker (boom lift). Neither option is inherently better or worse – the right choice will depend upon your specific needs and preferences. For example:
- Frequency and length of use: Cherry picker rental contracts are available in both short- and long-term arrangements. However, finding a cherry picker for sale may be a good solution if it will see daily use.
- Budget: Depending on the duration of your project, cherry picker hire may or may not be more affordable than purchase.
- Storage facilities: You’ll need space to store your access platform when not in use. This is important to think about if you are planning to purchase one or seek a long-term lease.
- Maintenance requirements: All cherry pickers and boom lifts require regular, ongoing servicing to avoid breakdowns. Some rental companies, such as TAG Forklift Truck Services, will include this in the hire package.
Whether you are planning to purchase or buy an access platform, make sure all of your operators receive appropriate training first. This is one of the most important cherry picker safety regulations.
Pros and Cons of Buying a Cherry Picker
Buying a cherry picker has several advantages, the biggest of which is convenience. Once you purchase a cherry picker, you have access to it whenever you need it. You can also customise the machinery to meet your specific needs, without being limited to any rental terms and conditions.
Additionally, owning a cherry picker means you can avoid the ongoing expense of rental fees. If you have the capital to spare, you’ll only need to cover the initial purchase. If you require a cherry picker for regular use, it may work out cheaper in the long run.
However, buying a cherry picker also has some disadvantages. As well as the high capital outlay, you’ll be fully responsible for maintaining and storing the equipment. Unexpected breakdowns may also lead to unexpected costs arising in the future.
Furthermore, if your business operations evolve with time, you may need to choose a new access platform to meet your changing needs. This will involve the hassle of selling your current model and the added expense of upgrading.
Pros and Cons of Hiring a Cherry Picker
Many businesses prefer the flexibility of hiring a cherry picker or an articulated boom lift over owning the asset outright. There are many advantages of access platform hire:
- Reduced upfront fees: Regular, fixed cherry picker rental fees may be more manageable than one large investment, especially for smaller businesses.
- Cost-effectiveness: You’ll only pay for the equipment for as long as you need it. This can save you money, especially for short projects or occasional use.
- Variety of hire options: With suppliers such as TAG, you can hire a cherry picker on a casual, short-term or long-term basis.
- Reduced storage requirements: If equipment storage is an issue, casual cherry picker hire is a great way to work around a lack of space.
- Avoid maintenance and repair bills: These expenses are typically included with cherry picker and boom lift rental packages.
- Opportunities to upgrade: Hiring a cherry picker means you won’t be stuck with the same model until you sell it. You have the flexibility of testing and switching out your equipment whenever necessary.
Hiring a cherry picker does have some potential disadvantages. Firstly, it may work out more expensive for businesses that need to operate a cherry picker on a daily, long-term basis.
Availability of machinery may also be an issue during peak periods when demand is high. To prevent delays in your operations, choose a reliable access equipment hire company that specialises in fast delivery, such as TAG Forklift Truck Services.
TAG Forklift Truck Services: Cherry Pickers for Hire and Sale
At TAG Forklift Truck Services, we supply a variety of cherry pickers, scissor lifts, mast trucks and other access platforms for sale and hire. We carry models from reputable brands such as JLG, Hyundai and Linde, in various specifications to suit a wide range of applications.
If you’re not sure whether purchasing or hiring a cherry picker is right for you, get in touch with our helpful team. We’ll be happy to arrange a consultation and recommend the best option for your needs and budget.
Contact TAG Forklift Truck Services to find out more. We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and flexibility. Fill in our enquiry form or call us on 0161 848 0555.